Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Seasons of...





It's a little crazy that I have only been here for 12 weeks, and I have seen all four season in Washington DC. This week has been summer, with temperatures reaching into the 90's. I feel like I should be in a band uniform marching somewhere!!

Monday was pretty quiet day in comparison to last week at the Archives. I am getting into the final steps of my Civil War notebook, which is exciting! I thought I wouldn't get it all done, but it looks like it will be. The tourist levels were fairly low too, which was nice, since it's much easier to help people when they're aren't as many of them.

Tuesday I spent the day in downtown DC rather than the University of Maryland, as the department took the interns out for lunch! We went to Matchbox, which has some of the best pizza around. After lunch, we were sent on the mission of all missions for interns: getting donuts. :) I guess it had to happen at some point!

Wednesday was full of field trips! Our last class for Art was at the Phillips Collection, where we had a discussion on Washington modern art. Then we had a briefing with the NCIS as an introduction to the Spy Museum, which was our next stop. There are some crazy things that go on in the US intelligence agencies around here- like DC has the highest capita of spies in the world...I'll have to remember that the next time I'm at the grocery store.

The Spy Museum was great! The only bad thing was the heat and humidity that seeped into the museum making everyone sticky and warm. The exhibits had a bunch of gadgets from James Bond, as well as actually spy materials used during World War II and the Cold War. They had stations throughout the exhibit to see if you could handle being a spy- I didn't pass the test though. O well, I always seem to be the last person to figure out when people are planning something without me, so being a Bond girl (or a spy) is not for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment