Saturday, April 10, 2010

Lists

I am counting down the days until I return back to Minnesota. (13 left!) With this countdown comes lots of lists: to do lists, packing lists, grocery lists, summer reading lists. My list of things to get done at work in the next two weeks is slowly shrinking, which I am a little sad about. I am going to miss the life of an intern, and even more working at the National Archives.

I am in the final steps of completing my Civil War project! All of the pages have been organized, printed, indexed, researched, and put in binders. There are three binders too!! (We were only expecting one, so this has been a HUGE project!) All that is left now is printing off all the introduction pages, and then it's off to the Resource Room for the public to use! Hopefully I will be able to get into the exhibit and at least see part of it before I leave, seeing as I have been working with these documents for so long now.

Friday I was at Archives II, where I learned that we finally got through all of the Brazilian consulate records back in the stacks! Cassie and I have been working on these since January, so it's nice to move to a different part of the world. Currently, we are going through the British West Indies (Antigua and Barbados) consulate records. So far there hasn't been anything too interesting, but I am sure there is some pirate map or hidden treasure in there somewhere! I also went back into the stacks for some presidential assassination research. I spent the afternoon going through the Lynette Fromme files from her attempted assassination on Gerald Ford. She was a member of the Charles Manson clan, so there were some creepy things in that file! I found some good court case papers though, which will be used for a video conference lessons.

Normally I don't work on Saturdays, but this week I did. There were people everywhere, just like last weekend! I was in the Resource Room the whole day, so I spent most of my time showing people ARC and the Declaration. There was the annual Cherry Blossom Parade right outside the Archives this morning, so people flocked into the museum once that was finished. In the meantime though, I sat by the huge window and watched it. There was also a large block party/fair on the other side of the building, which made getting home a bit difficult. The people who came into the RR today too were all about family roots for some reason! I feel like I should wear a sign around my neck that says " This is not a research/ geneology center. This is a Resource Room". O well, I have gotten really really good at using Ancestry, Heritage Quest, and Footnote. So, if anyone needs a hand with genealogical research, I'm your girl!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Beth ~

    It's Sam from Admissions; we miss you terribly but really enjoy reading of your adventures. I sent an email to your cord.edu account asking some questions about the Archives. My dad is in DC and hoping to do some research. I look forward to hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete