Friday, April 23, 2010

100 Days of DC

100 Days. That’s 2,400 hours, 56 cold lunches, 3 snowstorms, and 112 trips on the Metro, just to get to work! These 100 days have just flown by as I reflect back on my final night in Washington DC. I have learned so much out here; about history, about working in the real world, about myself. I hope that you have shared my adventure with me through this blog, because has it ever been an adventure!

Wednesday was our final field trip as a group, and our last time together as one large group. We went to lunch at Whitlow’s which is a local burger place with really good Oreo shakes! I remember Dr. Joyner saying back in January that by the time we get to Whitlow’s we should know everyone in the group, and I can proudly say that I do. Wednesday was also my final class for the semester, which is always a nice accomplishment to reach! Sadly the rest of my free time these past few days have been spent cleaning and packing, so that actually took up most of my time on Wednesday.

Thursday was my last day in the lab at the Archives. We had one of the best student groups in on a double lab, which actually made it not seem like a double lab. It was bittersweet to see the last of these student groups, as they have been one of my favorite parts about my internship. To see a group of students take historical documents, which many think are boring, and turn them into a meaningful project in under two hours is something of a miracle, and I have been blessed to be a part of that. I started saying goodbye to some of my coworkers on Thursday as well, as they will be elsewhere on Friday.

Today was honestly a strange day at the Archives. I couldn’t help but think that it was my last time doing this, or my last time running to find that. We had an ice cream social again for all the volunteers at Archives I since its National Volunteer Appreciate Week, which made it the finale to my time out here. I spent the rest of the day tying up loose ends and saying my farewells to everyone, which was sad. I have the greatest coworkers out here; I feel like we have become a little family out here! Like I said earlier, I would not trade this experience for anything, and although not everything was easy or happy, it taught me something or at least gave me a different perspective on life. Tomorrow I go back to Minnesota, where I know I have a lot of friends and family welcoming me back home, but I know that I will leave a little bit of myself here in DC, amongst the miles and miles of stacks, with those I have worked with in the past 100 days, or in the knowledge that I gave to a child during my time out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment