Sunday, April 18, 2010

Last Weekend!

I am wrapping up my last weekend in DC. Just like most people would, I am trying to fit in as much sight seeing as possible. This also means that I am cramming in projects to finish at work; it is going to be a fast finish!

Thursday at work was full of special groups coming in and out of the Education area. We started the morning with a group of new archivists, who were so excited to see the education space. The next group to filter in was a group of teachers who came to do a mini version of the Constitution in Action lab, and learn about more resources they could use back in their classrooms. We were pressed for time to begin with, but it became just a furried mess when the group showed up 20 minutes late! We made it through the lab, but it was a hurried one! They were very grateful though for the amount of flexibility we had, and enjoyed the lab. Our third and final special group for the day was a Treasure Vault tour!! Charlie needed a few interns to help show documents to a group of high schoolers, and I jumped at the chance! I got to hold and see up close an original (yes THE REAL THING!!) letter written by Thomas Jefferson to Congress about the Lewis and Clark expedition. I also got to show the original political cartoon that marked President Theodore Roosevelt with the teddy bear icon, and the only remaining copy of Mad Magazine comic book, Issue #1. It was just a great afternoon!

Friday was a double lab day. One lab is enough to keep you occupied for the day, so to have two makes for a busy day! We had close to 50 7th graders come through that day, and they really enjoyed learning in this sense. One commented that this was cooler than just being back in school. I'm sure the gloves, magnify glasses, and lab coats don't help in that aspect at all.

Saturday I spent my day down by the Potomac River in Old Town Alexandria. Unlike Washington DC, which grew up following the Civil War, Alexandria, VA was built up in the mid 18th century and was a pivotal town during the American Revolution and Civil War. Today the town has been preserved in its 18th century splendor, with lots of row houses and really unique shops and restaurants. It was a beautiful day to be out wandering and I came across some really neat stores. I also sat down by the riverside and read my book, which was one of the most peaceful things I have done yet. I have attached some pictures from my time down in Alexandria below. Today is my final tourist day in DC, so I will be spending it watching America's pastime: baseball. The Nationals are playing the Milwaukee Brewers, and they won yesterday, so I'm hoping that they will do the same. :)

George Washington Masonic Memorial
Looking out into the river
Christ Church- Both Washington and Robert E Lee attended church and had pews here
Sailors Row
One of the most picturesque places in Alexandria
A few ferry's in the harbor
Alexandria town hall filled with an early morning farmers market

No comments:

Post a Comment