Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Baseball, Potluck, and Records

Well I started out my weekend on a good note in Old Town Alexandria, and I finished off my weekend at the Nationals baseball game. They have such a nice ballfield, and it is so nice to have baseball outside where it should be! It did make me think of how great Twins baseball is going to be this summer at Target Field. Even though the Nationals lost, it was still a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. One of my friends that I went with is from Milwaukee, and they were playing the Nationals, so she was happy her hometown team won!

After being at my internship for 14 weeks, I have figured out that Mondays are quiet days at the Archives. I spent most of my time up in the Resource Room, since no one else was around. I met some really interesting people while I was up there, and was able to locate some D-Day records for a student, find military records for a veteran, and census records for a family looking for ancestors. These are the stories that make my day so meaningful and make my job one of the best! I hope that as I leave the National Archives that I will be able to continue to make these kinds of impacts on people and help them navigate through the millions of records available to them.

Today was my last day at Archives II. I did not get a chance to work on any preservation work today because we were celebrating National Volunteer Appreciation Week by throwing a potluck and ice cream social. It just happened to match up with my last day out there, which was kind of a nice way to end my time there. I am SO appreciative for all those who work out at A II who were able to teach me things and help me in my internship and I am sorry that I will be missing out on more of their teaching. Not having an hour and fifteen minute commute one way though will be nice....

Tonight was also my last class on the Supreme Court. I came into this course knowing very little about the set up of the court or the American judicial system and in general, and I have gained so much knowledge about the history and controversy behind the system and it's cases this past semester. For anyone who is thinking about coming out to DC for a semester, please let me know! I'll make sure that you don't get too lost or confused if you come out here.

Archives II
National Basilica, which I drive past each week on the way to Archives II

Anna, Robin, and I at the game

They have such a sweet scoreboard!
Gomez at the plate!!
National Field- outside like baseball should be

No comments:

Post a Comment