Sunday, February 14, 2010

Museum Mania!

This weekend has been a whirlwind of museums! I managed to fit five different stops in two days!

Saturday: Natural History Museum and Smithsonian Castle

The Natural History Museum was crazy on Saturday! I guess it might be from the pent up feeling those living around Washington have had in the past week. The museum is definately one of my favorites so far- I feel like I'm betraying my fellow American history buffs on this one, but it's truly a great place. There's the hall of Mammals, Ocean Hall, Dinosaur Hall, and rows upon rows of jewels, rocks, and gems. I was able to snap shots of a few pictures within these exhibits, but they are just something else in person. The castle is a bit more of a visitor center, but there were a few exhibits that show the highlights of all 19 museums the Smithsonian runs.

Sunday: The National Museum of the American Indian, The US Botanical Gardens, and the Freer gallery of Art

The American Indian Museum is the newest on the mall, and is completely different than any other one I have been in. Tribes from all over North and South America planned the musuem, allowing the visitor to get a glimpse on how they see the changes in their ways of life in the past 600 years. There was no covering up what the government did wrong, rather it is placed right next to all the triumphs that native people have accomplished. The coolest part of this museum was the programming that was going on: chocolate!! Since it was Valentine's Day, the musuem had a full array of programs and stations about the native treat. It was so neat to go through the process of making chocolate and to see the many ways you can cook with it!

My next stop was at the Botanical Gardens, which was the best place to go on a chilly winter day! They have an exhibit right now about orchids, which is my favorite flower, and I could've spent hours in there, had it not been for my sore feet. The conservatory had sections on rainforest, desert, endangered species, and even a place on medicinal herbs. I plan on going back there again- it was just fantastic!

On my way home, I stopped by the Freer Gallery to peer in on one of the best art rooms in the country: The Peacock room. I think the pictures speak for themselves, but the Peacock Room is somewhere that I have been reading about since I was little. It was actually partly a mistake; the designer asked for a small leeway in his creativity; and then took off as he painted the ceilings and walls with golden peacocks. It is quite a site to see. :)
Peacock Room

Told you it was awesome!

Tropical Rainforest

In Hawaii :)

Some early Cherry Blossoms


Orchids at the Botanical Gardens

Cacao pods and chocolate beans

Making Mexican hot chocolate
In the Natural History Museum- so adorable
Sant Ocean Hall- with a whale hanging from the ceiling
My favorite- anyone want to guess how much it's worth?
the "Cursed" Hope Diamond
The T-Rex from Night at the Museum
Natural History Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment