Sunday, February 7, 2010

Let it Snow! - Part Duex





So I think that I spoke a bit too soon on the past blog about snow... I'm sure that there was some blip on the news where you are about the 30+ inches of snow we got in less than 48 hours. I have been snowed in since Friday afternoon, and am going a bit stir crazy, hence the reason why this blog might be long.

The end of the week at the Archives brought with it some success. I am finally making progress in my lesson plans, which are to be presented in just a few weeks. I helped develop a briefing book that the students will use to write their discoveries about the Archives, and then take home as a keepsake.

On Thursday morning, I went up to Capitol Hill to sit in on a Congressional hearing from the House's Education and Labor committee. After starting almost an hour late ( I am realizing that nothing seems to run on time with the Federal Government) the hearing got underway and only lasted a half hour! They passed legislation on restraining children in schools, both to protect the students and give their teachers the training they need. The whole process of a committee was so different than what I have ever seen on C-SPAN. There were people running in and out, casting their vote and then moving on to their next appointment. It seemed a little rude and trivial for voting on an actual piece of legislation. Never the less, I am glad that our government allows us to witness this important process in forming law.

By the time Friday rolled around, people were in terror over the snow. The night before I went to the grocery store, and waited in line almost twice as long as I normally would. They had not run out of anything when I got there, but my roommates missed out on some essential supplies because they went later in the evening. Only three staff members out of ten were at work on Friday morning and we closed down by noon. All federal employees were given a semi-snow day and were allowed to leave four hours early.

Once I got home, I was snowed in for the next 36 hours. I spent most of Saturday catching up on homework and watching a marathon of movies. I almost felt like I was back home again, as the flakes fell. I even longed for the chance to go outside and shovel or make a snowman!

Today, people are shoveling out. Most of the main roads are plowed, but still very icy. The sky is clear and sunny, but heaps of snow are everywhere. I have added a few pictures of this storm, including a tree that fell on my apartment building! Forecasters say that it's supposed to snow again in the coming week- who knows how long of a work week this will turn out to!

No comments:

Post a Comment