Friday, February 12, 2010

Back to Normal...sort of

Today was the first day back since our monster snowfalls this past Friday and Tuesday. Just as Washington was all shoveled out, we got about 10 more inches of snow. I am happy to report though, that there is no large snowstorms in the future. For those of you back in Fargo, we have surpassed your yearly snowfall record by almost a foot. Take that!

Since I was snowed in all week, it was pretty mundane few days. I caught up on all my television shows, finished all my homework, and even took a few naps! By Thursday evening, though, I had full blown cabin fever and was ready to get out. The entire city was shut down most of the week, including all public transportation, so the Federal Government was closed.

This morning, though, the weather had cleared enough for everyone to go back to work. Today we had about half of the Education team in running the ship. Most of the day was spent trying to reschedule all that had been missed this past week, and the other half was just a normal day.

I finally (!) got into the research rooms too today! It is quite the process getting the records you want, and involves many loopholes (pull slips, finding aids, ARC, and the Reading Room). The good news: I found what I was looking for (in a police report talking about James Garfield's assassination). The bad news: Only one record of the three I got ended up being helpful and I have no pictures to show, as cameras are restricted in certain areas at the Archives. O well, I guess that happens during research!

Next week, I hope to go more into the research areas and dig up more information about Presidential assassinations. The Duke group will also be here on Friday, and with plans still running smoothly, despite the weather, I hope that the stations I put together will be beneficial and eye opening to the students!

No comments:

Post a Comment