Sunday, February 28, 2010

Fanning the Flames

So I think I have learned the rule in the buisness world: Fanning the flames is something that interns do everyday to keep things running smoothly. This week was no exception to that rule!

Thursday I spent most of my time "fanning the flames". This is intern lingo for running around fixing little things and keeping things running smoothly.First, I learned and then mastered the computer graphic design program, InDesign by creating a booklet/scavenger huunt for the Polar Exploration Family Day on Saturday. At first I wanted to throw the computer out the window because I was so frustrated with the program, but after a few hours I had my booklet completed! There were more computer issues too with a few letters that I was editing, but "fanning the flames" on that one turned out successful as I tracked down IT and got the computer fixed and the letters finished.

Friday I was in the lab all day fanning more flames and figuring out more problems.The morning session went very well, with only one computer mishap, but the afternoon was no so smooth. Our second lab group showed up a half hour late, and then only came with 6 of the 22 students we were expecting. Missing one or two people is not really and issue, but the lab is supposed to have a minimum of 18 students, not 6. This left us scrambling as we tried to adjust it to not only fit the numbers we had, but the students (they were preparing for the national competition of We the People). It actually turned out well; the students understood our main message and now know how to doing primary source analysis on historical documents.

By the time Saturday rolled around, I was tired. But, it was Polar Exploration Family Day and all of my work this week was about to pay off. It turns out that it went really well. The kids loved all the pictures that we found of Robert Peary going to the North Pole, especially the penguin pictures! I also headed up story time throughout the afternoon with a tale about Peary's daughter Marie, who spent much of her childhood in the Arctic. The Resource Room was a busy place all afternoon, as it should be, and many of the parents had no idea that this resource was available to them. Hopefully some of them will return in the future, with their children, to learn more about history.

Today one of my best friends from Wadena, Melissa, is coming in for a few days to look at some graduate schools. We're heading out to the monuments this afternoon- it is going to be so nice to have some old friends out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment