Wednesday, March 31, 2010

What's your story?

Mankato, MN paper headlines for the day- in Washington DC
The television studio for ABC's This Week

The Microphones that FDR used in his first Fireside Chat- Notice the WTOP one; that is still a radio station in the DC area today

The Intolerable Acts- I wrote a research paper on these freshman year, so I was so excited to see them in person! :)

The view from the top of the Newseum

Wow....you can tell it's Easter vacation week this week. The Metro is strangely quiet during morning rush hour and there are tourists everywhere! (I'm not kidding about the Metro thing, it was so quiet that I thought I was getting on the wrong train!)

When I came to the Archives on Monday, I was greeted by a line that wrapped around the corner. This line was that long for the rest of the day! I spent my morning in the Resource Room, where I barely had time to sit down, there were so many people in there! I did get to help some really cool people though. One group was two Vietnam veterans, who told me a crazy story about submarine chases across the Arctic Ocean with Soviets. I also had a family come in looking for documents on Pearl Harbor as one of their kids was doing a project on it, and I was able to show him how to find over 100 documents for his school project. There was another family with a teacher in the group who was so thankful for the introduction I gave to her about the educational resources we have for classroom use.

Because it was so busy in the morning, I basically hid in the afternoon so I could get some work done! I am now halfway through the Civil War notebook, which is right on track, as I have only 3 weeks left out here!

Tuesday I was out at A II again. I did my normal routine of document preservation, and came across some cool passport application files and a list of all the American citizen foreign births in Brazil during World War II.

Today's field trip was to the Newseum, the newest musuem in Washington DC. We got an inrotduction to the museum from one of my classmates, who is an intern there. There is a fantastic view of Washington DC from the top of the building, which is where we started. This is one of the best places to view the Presidential Inauguration parade, as it is right on Pennsylvania Avenue. From there, we went through a bunch of exhibits all about the news. The TV studio for ABC's This Week is in the building, so I got a picture of that. There was also remenants from the Berlin Wall, 9/11, and wartime journalism. On the way out, there is a large exhibit that has all the headlines for the nation for that day, and what paper do I run into but the Mankato paper!


Tomorrow will be a very early morning at work. My family is coming to visit me for Easter, and I am taking them through the Archives tomorrow. I hope it's not as busy as it has been this past week!

No comments:

Post a Comment