Saturday, March 20, 2010

Have you exercised your rights as an American citizen today?

There is so much going on in Washington this weekend; the Metro was packed with people all day!!

It's really exciting to be in the nation's capitol when such historic legislation (by this I mean the health care vote tomorrow) going on! While the Hill was bustling with people preparing for this vote, there were thousands of tourists, runners, and protesters bustling about.

There are 5 different protests going on this weekend: 1. End the Iraq War 2. Tea Party 3. Anti- Healthcare 4. Pro-Healthcare and 5. Immigration Rally. There was also the National Marathon this morning and it's the nicest weekend since last fall, which has brought all the tourists and locals outside (including what seems to be the entire state of Texas; they have spring break this week).

Of course, I was out and about in DC today, attending the Anti-War protest for one of my classes. I have added some pictures from the protest this afternoon. I have never attended a protest on the large of a scale before, so the experience I had is something I can compare to what protests were like during the hippie era. There were some strange people chanting and running around, but many of the protesters are just average citizens using their protected rights as Americans to tell Congress and President Obama their dislike of the Iraq War. The protest was held at Layfayette Park, which is right across from the White House. Overall, it was interesting to be a part of something so large and important, and part of something I have never experienced before.

Following the protest, I went to the Daughters of the American Revolution museum to take a look at their exhibits. They have a bunch of period rooms, ranging from the early 17th century to the mid 20th century. It takes a special person to appreciate these displays, but I thought they were great!

On top of all the excitement going on in DC this weekend, it is in the upper 70's here, which means that I can't help but be outside as much as possible! I'm sad to say this, but I think that I will be going back in seasons when I get back to MN, which is a sad, sad thought.




Tudor Room in the DAR
Maine Room- early 19th century
Furniture from the White House- Monroe Era
Protesters getting ready to march- note the street hockey game going on in front of them, which is in front of the White House!
One of the signs

Protesters in front of the White House

No comments:

Post a Comment